Silent is golden, the saying goes. Some people seem to have forgotten that not everyone wants to make a big deal about themselves. Everyone doesn’t want to write and post photos of themselves on social media. Just because it’s there, it doesn’t mean you have to use it like everyone else. Introverts usually want to keep the most private things in private. Not everyone of course. There’s always one.
I don’t have the urge to talk about things that don’t really concern others. Besides, if you tell everything about yourself there is no mystery left. I’ve chosen to be silent on certain things. Sometimes I do tell about private things. Like the one with my sister and mother. But I wanted to share that so others could relate. I prefer posting my opinions more than facts about me. People who don’t know me think I’m always silent. If I was like that all the time, people would walk all over me. If someone tries to hurt me I defend myself. I think before I speak because if I said what was on my mind straight away, I would hurt someone’s feelings. What people mostly talk about is something I’m not interested in any way. When I suddenly say something other’s are surprised. I don’t know what’s so strange about that. I’m human and not a robot. I don’t need to follow the crowd. I say something when I have an opinion. If it’s a subject about I have no experience of, I don’t take part in the conversation. People should stop wondering why some people don’t say much. Instead, they should accept that not everyone has an opinion on everything they talk about. We’re all different and that shouldn’t even be an issue. Why must there always be noise anyway?
Sometimes silence is good. No one plans a murder out loud. That’s something I saw on Pinterest once. Actually, when I plan something, I keep it close to my chest. I don’t even tell people I know. I’m also good at keeping other people’s secrets. Who would I tell anyway? I wouldn’t post it on social media, that’s for sure. I have respect for other people’s privacy. If it’s about something illegal or someone hurting someone, then I won’t be silent. I have morals and I don’t accept everything. No one should be treated badly. I can sympathize with people who are being hurt. If you keep everything silent, nothing will get better.
It’s not about a zoo with animals. I’ve been to a few, in Hamburg, Stockholm and the ones in Finland (Ähtäri and Helsinki Zoo). Also the one close to the city I live in, Zoolandia. In those zoos, the animals are living in peace. But the zoo in my head is having a big fight. The zoo meaning my thoughts. I can’t make up my mind what I really want to do in life. One part keeps me lazy but the other part wants to start something productive. My weakness is the start. I can start a fiction or even this blog but when it comes to projects, I find it difficult to get started. I feel so unmotivated too. I need more confidence or I’ll never move on.
So far I’ve studied photography, graphic design and web design. But the only thing I haven’t found is a job. First of all, there are not many jobs out there in my city. The other is the demands employers have. I’m just not cut for those jobs. I’ve applied for a few but it didn’t bring results. I’m not sure my skills are even that good. It feels like I’m not talented enough. I’m paranoid people think my designs are unimpressive and that I should do something else. In other words, it’s all crap. But then I think, so what? As long as I know what I can do, is all that matters. There’s always someone who does like it. It had taken me years to discover what I want to do. No one can tell me to change occupations again. I have found my so-called calling and I won’t let it go. The toughest challenge is to get yourself out there. There are so many designers who got a lot to show and I’m only starting out.
The zoo in my head is preventing me to do things out of my comfort zone. One of them is what kind of design I really want to do. I’m not very technical so web developing seems too complicated. I didn’t even like coding in school. I’ve thought about graphic design again. I applied for one education but it’s already been a month and still nothing. I guess my luck had run out when it comes to education. At least I save money. It was quite expensive. In a way, it would have been a good learning curve. The teachers would have been pros. I’m a bit disappointed I didn’t get in but since I already have the basic knowledge of the subject. It would probably be a repeat anyway. I’ve been to that school before (2014-2015) but it’s wasn’t as cool as they make it sound. Last time it didn’t give me anything special. After 3 years I’m still in the same place as I was then.
People make it sounds so easy to start a business. There’s a lot of examples on Pinterest. How to work from home. How someone made this much money in this amount of time. How to earn money on Pinterest. All of these tips are abroad so I don’t know if any of them would work in Finland. There are so many rules you have to go by. Taxes and all that. Having a business in any country seems so complicated. Applying for a job in a company seems the easiest way. If you go it alone you have to sell yourself. Branding, networking etc. It’s so overwhelming for an introvert and especially for a shy one. If I had to choose I would do all the networking on the computer.
That’s not the biggest challenge though. It’s the standing out thing. How can you stand out and how to explain it in words, that’s the dilemma. I’m me and there’s no one like that. It doesn’t say much. I just can’t explain myself in words like that. That’s what I hate the most about the job search. Explaining yourself to strangers. I wish people would just accept the answer, I’m me and that’ll never change. But things always need to be explained as complicated as possible. That’s the reason there’s a zoo in my mind. Simplicity would make things much more bearable and everything would be easier.
Today it’s all about me. It’s not about selfishness. If I posted selfie’s about myself every day of the week, that’s would be selfish. This post contains snippets of moi. That’s me in French. This post is 20 facts about me.
- I’m bilingual. My mother tongue is Swedish. It’s Finnish-Swedish so don’t mix it with Sweden.
- I never had a pet. Bunnies are my favourite animal
- I can play the recorder and piano. I have a good musical ear so I can make tunes on the top of my head. I can even read simple notes that I taught myself
- I can speak a few words of German, Italian, French, Spanish and Russian
- I rather be alone than having friends disturbing me all the time
- I like watching sports. Especially ice hockey
- I’ve only watch Marvel movies because of Loki. If he’s not in it, I don’t care
- I use social media all the time but sometimes it feels like no one really cares what I post there
- I don’t like the taste of alcohol. I don’t like drunk people because you can’t have a decent conversation with them
- I’ve never been abroad alone
- I like filling quizzes, doing tests and fill forms
- I love chocolate but I also eat other candy/sweets
- Friday 13 has never brought me bad luck. Maybe because I have no luck other days either
- I change my mind all the time which has caused me problems of finding a career. I really have difficulties starting things.
- I hate shopping so I buy things online instead. Sometimes I do go to a store but only if it’s really necessary
- I got chased by a dog when I was 6 so I was dead scared for years. But I faced my fear and now I’m over it. As long as they’re on a leach though
- I’ve seen Lord of the rings so many times I’ve lost count. The same with The Hobbit. Extended versions included
- I’ve tried a lot of different sports and one of them is golf
- I think better when the music is on
- I’ve only travelled in Europe. Latest trip was to Stockholm this year